Hot Dad or Boy Band Member?
Parenting is about learning strengths and weakness in yourself. As a dad, I have learned that time is a precious commodity. In fact, I believe that most parents would agree they don’t have enough time. I realize we can’t live without oxygen, water or food but time is the one commodity that works against us the most . We can’t buy anymore of it and have to make do with what we have.
I try to use time to my advantage. I will work late into the night writing or I will multitask and use my phone to post things during the day. I work at making games out of cleaning the house to get my son involved in household chores. Sadly, at the end of the day, I still never have enough time for everything in my life. Now, I have a dilemma, am I a hot dad or boy band member?
Being a hot dad is hard work!
A few months ago, my profile was on a hot dad’s website (see Hot Guy or Parent) . I still find it hard that anyone would “think” of me as a hot dad but vanity somehow allows me to manage with the idea. I have struggled with the image and the amount of time I feel I need to keep up with what it takes in being a hot dad.
Disadvantages of being a hot dad
- Mirrors - I am constantly looking for the next mirror around me. As a father, I know that image is everything to a child. I don’t want to become responsible for my son’s “lack” of image. I want to make sure that I am always presentable to anyone he might meet (I am sure he doesn’t mind me looking in random mirrors for 10 to 20 minutes at a time!)
- Planning – Keeping a spreadsheet of activities for me and my son has helped in the daily planning of where I would look best. I try to keep a constant vigilance of who is around me and if I am making them look better or worse. A good example: I know that going to the park on Wednesday afternoons at 2:35 PM is where I can maximize my exposure to others and help share what it is like being a hot dad with them.
- Clothes – It takes me longer to pick out clothes. I can no longer look at clothing in the same way. I look at each item and decide if I would make it look better or worse (the process alone can take an extra 20 minutes!)
Justin Bieber look out!
Time though is a crucial factor in being a hot dad. I don’t really want to admit it but I need a haircut. Getting a haircut before I was a hot guy was no big deal but now it takes away precious time. If my granny was alive she would tell me, “Boy, you need a haircut. Do you need some money to get it done? I will call now and get it set-up!”
Advantages of being a boy band member
- Look Alike – I am sure before long someone will mistake me for Justin Bieber. The age factor won’t come into play.
- Products – I like styling products for my hair (see Hair Gel - Sometimes It’s All About Me). Being a boy band member does give me the advantage of looking at them a little more closely when we are shopping.
- Rock n Roll – Everyone likes a Rocker (I don’t mean the type of rocker a nursing home!) People respect Rockers, they get to have fun and the kids LOVE them!
I feel like I have to decide based on time. Do I take the time to get a haircut and stay a hot dad? Should I forget the haircut and become a boy band member? I understand that no one ever said parenting was easy but I had hoped it would become a little easier as time went on!
Time really can become a problem as a parent! Making time to do things for yourself (such as a haircut) is important! Do you ever find the lack of time for yourself? What do you to manage time? How do you take care of yourself versus your children? Make sure to tell me in the comments!
As a parent, one of the things I try to teach my son is compassion. We have to have compassion for all living things. A fellow blogger and good friend of mine Amberr Meadows (Like A Bump On A Blog) has had two stray cats that adopted her and they still need some vet visits among other things.She is asking for a little help to get the cats the help they need and in exchange she is willing to promote you on her blog. Let me tell you from experience, being on her blog is something you will WANT! Amberr is one of the top bloggers around and it definitely drove traffic for me. Check it out for a good cause and get some advertising and see what a top blogger can do for you!
Tags: band member
, constant vigilance
, hot guy
, household chores
, strengths and weakness