A love of DUPLO will lead to lost LEGO
Most children love building and my son is no different. One of his favorite toys is LEGO© bricks. I have watched him grow from simple blocks, to Duplo (also made by LEGO©) and now the occasional LEGO©. LEGO bricks are one of my favorite all time toys that I can remember from my childhood. In fact, LEGO© is celebrating its 80th Birthday this month. As a parent and loving LEGO we have to deal with one unfortunate side effect of this wonderful toy, lost Lego blocks.
Fatherhood is all about being adaptive. I can tell you that if you have a child you will eventually go on a search and destroy mission looking for one item. I have been on missions looking for cars, shoes, books and LEGO. I have discovered I usually find the missing item when I am least expecting it.
LEGO blocks are wonderful
I have begun to believe that there is a mystery LEGO creäture that enjoys taking all the lost LEGO bricks and collecting them and leaving them in odd places. I have found LEGO bricks in some of the most strange places. If you are missing any of these bricks lets me offer a few suggestions to help you find them.
1. Car Seat – The last time I cleaned out my car I found over a dozen DUPLO and LEGO bricks in various places. I discovered them in my car seat, under my car seat, in the center console, in my son’s car seat and one of them stuffed in a bag of trash.
2. Outside – Lost LEGO bricks are durable and it is amazing to see this first hand. You could discover several dozen bricks buried in the sandbox that all still remain colorful and intact (which is very impressive!) I have also discovered them in the flowerbed, around the swing set and various places scattered throughout the lawn.
3. Couches – Couches are notorious for eating items and LEGO bricks are no different. I have found LEGO bricks scattered under the cushions, between the cushions and under the couch. The one nice thing about looking for lost LEGO bricks in the couch is I almost always wind up several dollars richer in the process.
4. Refrigerator – If you are in desperate need of a certain LEGO never forget to check the refrigerator and freezer. You might be surprised to discover that not only can they scatter under the refrigerator but they also might wind up in the vegetable bins.
5. Dark House – If you want a sure far method to find a missing LEGO this method is almost guaranteed to work. In the middle of the night take a walk through your house without shoes on and the lights off. If you do this continuously for several nights you will find every missing toy in the entire house. I can tell you from personal experience you will know when you find a LEGO versus many other toys. The durability and painfulness associated with stepping on a LEGO is almost unmatched.
I love LEGO as a father. They are a wonderful toy that allows our children to become creative, imaginative and have fun! I look forward to going to the toy aisle and seeing what new and innovative items LEGO has come up with. As a father LEGO allow me to become a kid again with my son.
I am not the only father that has a love for LEGO… make sure to check out Daddy’s In Charge and you might find a whole new appreciation of LEGO.
In honor of the 80th Birthday the LEGO Corporation released a short animated film about their history.
Be sure to check out Andi-Roo at TheWorld4Realz who is writing about a month of controversy in the A to Z +1 August blogging challenge with me! Today is the letter “L” for Lost LEGO.
No tags for this post.